Saturday, April 10, 2010

Your First Job....

Hi Freelancers,

Now you are learning how to place bids. Since you are newbies, It takes time to understand the bidding process. Try to place more bids and communicate with more clients so you will not feel nervous. When I started my career as a freelancer, I haven't get responses from my clients. I have seen other users bidding styles and their descriptions. Then I have started in my own style.

Here I am going to tell you about my first job. I have placed a bid on translation project and got reply from my client. He has tested me and selected me. I have completed his job and received my first salary. The job is translating Wikipedia articles which is in English language to my native language. I have done good job. So he has given extra work and paid me. I am telling about translation now, because I don't want you to left some good opportunities. Translation is a good and easy job. If you like this job, you can carry on in this field. Other wise you can choose other jobs. I will tell you about the other jobs in detail in upcoming posts.

WHAT IS TRANSLATION?

Translation means converting some text from one language to another language without changing it's meaning. If you want to work as a translator, you must be know the following words.

1. Source language(text)
2. Target language(text)

1. Source Language: As a translator we have to convert text from one language to another language. The Text which we are converting is called Source Text and it's language is Source language.

2. Target Language: The language that it is translated into is called the target language.

For example If you are converting an article From English to Hindi language, Then English is Source language and Hindi is Target language. It is better if you have good knowledge on both languages.

Translation is an easy because we will definitely have good knowledge in our native language. All you need have good knowledge in English. Select your language pair and search for the jobs in that category. Language pair means the languages which you are translating from one language to another. For example..

English - Hindi
English - Chinese
Italian - French
Russian - Japanese
Greek - Turkish etc..

Now select your language pair. If you are from India, Select any language in which you have better knowledge. It is better to choose Native language. Native language means your mother tongue. For example if you know Hindi, select your language pair as English - Hindi, If you know Tamil your language pair will be English - Tamil and If you know Telugu well, select your language pair as English - Telugu. This is how to select your language pair.

HOW TO TRANSLATE?

I think You have selected your language pair. Now you have to know how to translate source language to target language. Now we have to know how to type different languages. We can type English. Do you know how to type other languages. Here we have to know the term UNICODE. Unicode helps us to type in our native language. It is different from typing softwares which will allow you to create text in your native language. So you have to download and Install Unicode in your computer.

To download Unicode for Indian languages, follow the link.
BARAHA
BARAHAUNICODE
BARAHA TRUE TYPE FONTS
Installing Windows keyboards for Indian languages

To know more about Unicode follow the link.
http://www.unicode.org/standard/WhatIsUnicode.html

Install the unicode software in your PC and select your language. Now you can start typing in your native language. It is very easy to type using Unicode but you need to know some fundamentals. You can get all the help with the software. So you don't need worry about it.

This is the process of how to type in your native language. Practice some words and paras until you gain a good speed in typing. There are some words which are tough to type in your native language. If you find any problem, contact me.

Ok. That's the work you have to do to be eligible for translation. Now you have all the stuff to start work. Now let's find the translation work.

You can find the translation projects in the freelance sites but very few. There are some sites which will help you to find number of translation jobs which will match your language pair. You can register to these sites for free. Here is the list of language job sites..

1. TRANSLATIONDIRECTORY

2. TRANSLATORSBASE

3. PROZ

4. TRANSLATORPLANET

Create an account in these sites and search for the jobs which will match your Language pair. You can more than $100 per month. Translate two small articles and use them as sample works. It is all about translation. If you have any queries, Leave a comment.

5 comments:

  1. Hi freelancer, I have registered to these sites. But i don't know what is translating tool. Please tell me about translation tool.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much we can through Translation? In which method they pay? Please give me reply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete